Different people take food supplements for various reasons. Ever day, millions of people across the world take supplements to complete their nutritional needs. Questions have been raised about how safe the supplements are when compared to other forms of medicine that people take. Alliance for Natural Health International has come forward to answer this query by making a comparison between the different possible effects of taking supplements. They have concluded that you are 62,000 times more likely to succumb from the consumption of pharmaceutical drugs than you are to die from taking food supplements.
Why is there concern about supplements safety?
Food supplements and herbal remedies are ranked as the safest substances that people can take. However, due to the number of people taking them, there has been an increased interest in their safety in use. It is estimated that more than half of the American population are consumers of supplements. The impact could be devastating if those supplements were to be confirmed dangerous in some way. However, there is no need for panic as there is no record that anybody has ever died out of consuming supplements.
The risk posed by the drug industry
Drugs used in the treatment of common ailments have been registered as having caused death. This is something to pay attention to especially for those taking medication for the long term. Cardiovascular medication, antidepressants, opioids, sedatives and acetaminophen medications have been identified as having caused the biggest number of deaths among patients.
Why Anti-Drugs movement is against prescription drugs
It has been reported that prescription drugs have caused more deaths than illegal drugs such as cocaine, marijuana and heroin. This has caused the Anti-Drug movement to call for a review on the safety of medications that are being sold throughout the world. With this awakening it is important to note that the only way to avoid poisoning from pharmaceutical drugs is to stop taking them altogether. However, this is not a viable option since they are the ones that treat the different ailments that we face. However, you can weigh the benefits of any drugs that you are given against the risks involved before deciding on whether they are worth to consume.
How to live healthily and avoid harmful drugs
Sometimes there’s no choice but to take prescription drugs. However, you can try to avoid illnesses that require prescription medication by living healthily, eating right and exercising frequently. Here’s how you can best try and prevent illnesses requiring you to take prescription drugs:
- Right food choices. It is important to adopt proper eating habits such as eating healthy meals as opposed to processed foods. This will help in providing your body obtain the right nutrients. You should concentrate on eating organically produced vegetables, fruits, groceries, and animal products. You should avoid foods that are fatty and unhealthy such as sugars especially fructose.
- Proper exercise. You should exercise regularly to ensure peak performance. Effective exercise involves not only the common core strengthening drills but also highly intensive activities that boost your production of the human growth hormone (HGH) that is crucial in improving your vigor, strength, and overall health.
- Reduce stress and think positively. Your emotional health is a major determinant of your overall health. Emotional fitness is known to play a role in causing or averting physical diseases such as arthritis, depression, heart disease, and cancer. Emotional health has a strong impact on your longevity due to its influence on inflammation, which in turn, characterizes most of the dreaded ailments that are responsible for premature deaths in today’s world. To maintain a stable mental and emotional equilibrium, you should employ effective methods such as exercise, social support, meditation, and the emotional freedom technique.
- Bask in sunlight to get vitamin D. The sun should be your primary source of vitamin D. It is advisable to get direct sunlight exposure every day. Oral ingestion of vitamin D is not as effective, but it is better to have it than nothing.
- Take adequate amounts of omega-3. Quality omega-3 that is found in certain animals such as fatty fish like salmon is an effective oil that helps to avert illnesses such as diabetes, hyperactivity, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, cancer, and heart complications.
- Avoid chemicals and toxins as much as possible. Get rid of your toxic everyday household items such as air fresheners, personal hygiene products, soaps, household cleaners, insecticides, pesticides, and bug sprays. Instead, grab non-toxic options of these products.
Stay healthy with wise food choices and exercise. With a little luck you’ll be able to avoid any and all diseases that would require you to take prescription drugs that might be more dangerous for you than even your doctor realizes. Compared to these prescription drugs, natural supplements are considered to be many times less dangerous.